June 18, 2016

Blu-Ray Review: IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGIUM

Starring Suzanne Pleshette, Ian McShane, Mildred Natwick, Murray Hamilton, Sandy Baron, Michael Constantine, Norman Fell, Peggy Cass, Marty Ingels. Directed by Mel Stuart. (1969, 99 min).
OLIVE FILMS

Here's something weird...I remember my parents watching this movie when it aired on TV in the early 1970s (I couldn't have been any older than 8 or 9). I have no recollection of the film itself, just the folky title tune sung over the opening credits. Even though over four decades have passed and I never heard it again afterwards, that goddamn song still pops into my head on occasion. The weird part is it isn't even that good.

I guess I should thank Olive Films for unearthing this ancient obscurity so I can at-least attach some context to the song that has tormented me for so long. I was also quite surprised how many of the lyrics I actually remembered.

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium, like its theme song, is definitely a product of its time, as is most of the ensemble cast. It features a lot of once-familiar actors known primarily for comedic television roles (as well as a very young Ian McShane playing an amorous tour guide lusting after Suzanne Pleshette). This loosely-plotted, episodic film has them all onboard a bus for one of those whirlwind European package tours, the main running gag being that they're never in one location long enough to really enjoy the trip.

"Bet you regret that tattoo."

A lot of the humor is slight and dated, and sometimes the film is a bit too leisurely paced for its own good, but for the most part, it's an entertaining enough piece of fluff from a bygone era (and Pleshette has never looked more radiant). Movie buffs should also keep a sharp eye for quick cameos by some pretty famous faces. There's a plethora of them.

Of course, that stupid damn song is stuck in my head again.

EXTRA KIBBLES: None
KITTY CONSENSUS:
NOT BAD...LIKE CAT CHOW

No comments: